| 1. The flower
When spring arrives, many plants are covered with flowers of many shapes and sizes. It seems that they have the mission to beautify the fields. But the flower has a more important mission: the reproduction. Flower forms seeds, which in turn will produce new plants. In the external part of the flower, we distinguish:
- The calyx is composed of green leaves or sepals to protect the bud.
- The corolla is composed of leaves or petals of different colors to attract insects.
- The stamens, little thread located within the corolla. They end in a little sack called anther, which is filled with a fine powder called pollen. It is the male organ of the flower.
- The pistil is the female organ of the flower. It is located in the center of the stamens and in its lower part, which is more bulky, it is called ovary. It contains the ovules. The enlarged upper part of the pistil is called stigma. The tube between the stigma and the ovary is called style.
2. Choose one of these words: calyx , sepals, corolla or petals: